Introduction to culinary essentials of professional cooking including food service history, professional terminology, cooking methods, and ingredient identification. Seasoning and flavoring foods. Learning how to plate and style food beautifully.
Key concepts covered include:
- Discuss the history and development of the food service industry.
- Describe how the food service industry in the U.S. is influenced by global cuisine.
- List the preparation and cooking techniques of meat, fish, shellfish, vegetable, and starch.
- Define and use appropriate culinary terminology.
- Differentiate cuts, inspection yield grades, specifications and grading for meat, fish, and seafood.
- Identify herbs and spices.
- Define how to create a stylish meal on plate.