Foodborne illness is a reality for everyone: customer, company, institution and family. Learning the skills to operate a safe food service is fundamental to the enjoyment of your work. It is our goal to not only equip you with information, but to provide you with the knowledge base that enables you to explain: ‘why we do it this way’. As you impart this understanding to those you supervise, you envelope them in a common goal: a great food safety program.
- Describe food spoilage and examine reasons why foodborne illness is increasing and what constitutes a good defensive posture.
- Explain the difference between the three types of food contamination: chemical, physical and biological.
- Understand the basic processes of bacterial growth and its control.
- Identify the various types of microorganisms related to food service and their symptoms.
- Demonstrate the procedures for effective hand washing.
- Identify how health habits and health habits of food service workers are important for food safety.
- Describe the prepared food worker: hair, nails, uniform, jewelry etc.
- Reduce the potential for accidents and injury: cuts, burns and falls.
- Describe the HACCP system of food safety and its purpose.
- Recognize the meaning of the flow of food.
- Identify the seven steps of a HACCP system.
- Detect any unacceptable items at the time of delivery (RECEIVING).
- Store food correctly (STORAGE).
- Prevent bacterial growth and cross contamination during preparation (PREPARATION).
- Identify minimum final cook temperatures of various foods (COOKING).
- Identify ways to hold foods at a temperature that prohibits multiplication of bacteria (HOLDING).
- Correctly cool and reheat foods (REHEATING).
- Serve food without re-introducing contamination (SERVING).
- Describe the appropriate design of a food facility.
- Identify the characteristics of adequate ventilation and plumbing.
- Implement proper methods of cleaning and sanitizing work surfaces.
- Explore Bioflims as a potential hazard when cleaning and sanitizing equipment.
- Discuss the issue of protecting the environment when handling water and trash.
- Describe the best methods for controlling flies.
- Implement procedures for minimizing roach infestation.
- Discuss ways to prevent rodent entry within your food establishment.
- Discuss the role of the pest control operator.
- Implement proper methods of fire safety.
- Discuss appropriate emergency first aid procedures.